GC-MS provides an excellent snapshot of central metabolism. It has proven to be highly reliable for the analysis of the metabolites found below.
1. Amino acids: all but arginine. Cysteine analysis is unreliable due to its free thiol covalently linked to cysteine in proteins.
2. TCA cycle and related metabolites: lactate, pyruvate, citrate, aconitate, isocitrate, succinate, fumarate, and malate.
3. Other organic acids: glyoxylatate, ascorbate, 2-isopropylmalate, 2-ketoadipate, 3-methyl-2-oxopentanoate, 4-aminobutyrate, 3-hydroxypyruvate, 4-methyl-2-oxovalerate, cinnamate, citraconate, citramalate, glycerate, mevalonate, and pimelate.
4. Free fatty acids and sterols: myristate, palmitate, oleate, linoleate, stearate, arachidonate and others.
5. Glycolytic intermediates: glucose6P, fructose6P, glyceraldehyde3P, dihydroxyacetone phosphate, 1,3-bisphosphoglycerate, 3-phosphoglycerate, 2-phosphoglycerate, and phosphoenolpyruvate.
6. Carbohydrates: glucose, galactose, mannose, sorbitol, mannitol, xylose, fructose and ribose.
7. Purine and pyrimidine bases. Adenine, guanine, thymine, cytosine, uracil, orotate, dihydroxyorotate, inosine as well as adenosine, guanosine, uridine and cytidine.
LC-MS provides an excellent platform for the analysis of redox metabolites, nucleotides and lipids.
1. Redox metabolites: oxidized and reduced glutathione, NADP+, NADPH, NAD+, NADH.
2. Coenzymes: acetyl-, malonyl-, succinyl-CoA.
3. Nucleotides: AMP, ADP, ATP, GMP, GDP, GTP and many others.
4. Lipidomics: Non-targeted lipidomics over 1000 individual lipid species, targeted assays for acyl-carnitines and ceramides routinely performed in the core.
The Core has over 600 purchased pure metabolite standards and routinely develops targeted quantitative assays for researchers. These are custom assays, please inquire with the Core for details on feasibility and pricing. Examples of past analysis include:
1. Hepcidin quantification
2. Acyl-carnitine quantification
3. Creatine and phosphocreatine quantification