Request a mentor before November 15! Note other award deadlines.
The American Society of Hematology (ASH) provides more than $12 million in career development and training awards to early- and mid-career hematologists. Understanding the impact of the global COVID-19 pandemic response on the economy and on medical research, the Society is continuing to provide support and much needed education and training to our members around the world, including maintaining funding for all 2021-2022 awards.
Through the ASH Minority Recruitment Initiative (MRI), the Society is working to increase the participation of underrepresented minority trainees in hematology-related fields and to increase the number of minority hematologists with academic and research appointments.
Apply to any of the following MRI awards:
- The Minority Hematology Graduate Award (MHGA) provides support for underrepresented minority doctoral students in their first, second, or third year of graduate school to conduct hematology-focused research. Applications are due January 15, 2022.
- The Minority Hematology Fellow Award (MHFA) provides salary support and funds to support hematology-focused research projects to underrepresented minority fellows in their first or second year of fellowship. Applications are due January 15, 2022.
- The Minority Medical Student Award Program (MMSAP) offers mentored introductory biomedical research experience to underrepresented minority medical students. Request a mentor by November 15.
- The Minority Resident Hematology Award Program (MRHAP) provides support for underrepresented minority resident physicians in an internal medicine, pathology, or pediatric residency program to conduct hematology-focused research. Request a mentor by November 15.
New this year: Application requirements for several awards have been streamlined to make the application process easier! Below is a brief summary of these changes:
- The application acceptance period for MMSAP and MRHAP has been extended to allow applicants more time to collect required application materials.
- Eligibility requirements for MRI awards now include DACA and J1 Visa holders from racial and ethnic groups that are underrepresented in health-related sciences in the U.S. and Canada.
- Returning recipients can easily reapply for awards with our newly streamlined Renewal Application feature within the application portal.
Learn more about ASH’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.