The New York Blood Center (NYBC) is seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic PostDoctoral Research Fellow to work on research projects aimed at investigating mechanisms of iron-altered hematopoiesis within the Iron Research Laboratory. Our laboratory is part of the Lindsley F. Kimball Research Institute, the research branch of the New York Blood Center, one of the most comprehensive blood centers in the world. The main goal of the Iron Research Laboratory is to investigate the impact of iron overload and deficiency on the pathogenesis of human hematological diseases, including sickle cell disease, thalassemia and cancer. Our research investigates the molecular mechanisms of heme and iron-driven toxicity, including inflammation, oxidative stress and altered erythropoiesis, and the role of detoxification systems in counteracting these effects. The candidate will work in an academic environment and perform cutting-edge research that integrates hematology and immunology with novel therapies using innovative technologies and approaches, including classic molecular, cellular, and biochemical techniques, as well as modern imaging techniques, sequencing and single cell analysis techniques, bioinformatics, and preclinical in vivo and in vitro models. In addition, he/she will collaborate with other research scientists across the NYBC, including basic and translational investigators, as well as with pharma companies. The current position is funded for 3 years.
• Ph.D. and/or M.D. degree in the biomedical sciences;
• A good record of high impact publications and a strong scholarly record;
• An experimental background in molecular and cellular biology (research experience with mouse models is required);
• Ability to work independently and within a strong team environment; to identify problems in a timely manner; to evaluate options and implement solutions; to pay strong attention to detail in all work processes;
• Contribution to experimental design and participation in team meetings.
For immediate consideration, please submit an application to Dr. Francesca Vinchi, Head of Iron Research Laboratory (FVinchi@nybc.org), including:
- a full CV, with list of publications;
- a motivational letter concisely describing your past research experience, your research interests and why you are applying;
- contact information of at least 3 references.
To learn more about the Iron Research Program and the NYBC visit:
Francesca Vinchi, PhD | New York Blood Center (nybloodcenter.org)